If you’re new to SEO, please let me be the first to introduce you to the FREE SEO tools that Google offers. In my years in the SEO industry, these are probably by far the greatest tools I’ve come across. Although my favorite has always been the Google Adwords keyword tool, here’s an outline of each of the tools:
Google Adwords Keyword Tool
- Obtain monthly search volume not only for keywords you input, but also for related keywords that Google suggests
- Broad – Allows your ad to show for searches on similar phrases and relevant variations
- “Phrase” – Allows your ad to show for searches that match the exact phrase
- [Exact] – Allows your ad to show for searches that match the exact phrase exclusively
- -Negative – Ensures your ad doesn’t show for any search that includes that term
Under the “Choose columns to display” drop down menu, select “Show all” and you get this:
Google Search-Based Keyword Tool (SKTOOL)
- Allows you to tailor a keyword based on your language or country settings.
- The keywords are organized by category so you can see the most-searched keywords for your particular industry.
- See trends in how people are searching your particular keyword.
- The data goes as far as 4 years back.
- Allows you to compare search volume patterns for up to 5 keywords at a time across specific regions, categories, or time frames
- A great way to see how popular keywords & their variations are by POS
- While Google Trends did a great job of showing the trends and the areas that people were searching from, Google Insights also does that and a few other things
- A list of the related top searches along with the top rising searches
- A graphical world heat map which displays the search volume index (normalized)
Give it a go, if you would like to see some video tutorials let me know in the comments section.
About the author
Maximus Kang is the Director of SEO Strategy & Founder of Ranking Channel, a Seattle-based SEO consulting agency. With enterprise level experience at Expedia and agency experience at Optify, his SEO knowledge covers a wide spectrum. He also started his very first profitable business as a 1st grader. Follow him on Twitter or connect with him on Facebook.
New to SEO? You can learn How to Win Users & Influence Google.